Tuesday, June 5, 2007

I get high on Life ... by DJ Nicci C






I get high on LIFE!

Why? ...its safer..last longer ...and no deadly side affects!...I love it!!!

Years ago as a young woman entering this world on her own I pondered on a lot of things..like, why did people drink themselves drunk to feel good , use other alternatives to get high.

Just don't get it, I thank God for looking out for me though, I too could have easily fallen into the abyss of "synthetic highs syndrome", I enjoy life...I enjoy feeling good about life, waking up knowing I have another day to accomplish my goals, see my friends and family, dance to Celia Cruz, look at a sunrise, smell the flowers...life is good!...Why would I want to alter that? Why would anyone?

Unfortunately a lot of that distructive lifestyle is still in the Latino communities as well as other minority communities.

You're probably wondering why I am talking on this. Well, just pondering ...with all the news and chaos in the world its easy to see why so many fall into that hole, not the best choice to follow that road of course, yet, is it really that chaotic that one cannot keep their heads on straight? Sure we have the war, crimes, drugs,etc. However,I decided long ago that whatever tries to penetrate my "happy world" I keep out, enough in to see whats going on , enough out to not absorb the damage, intiendes?

I'd rather get high on life than get high on anything else....I want that clarity to truly feel the good that life really does have to offer.

I also say this because it is our responsibility to look out for one another, to help rise our Latino sisters and brothers, oru communities.

We have been associated with drugs, violence, young parents having children, lack of enough college graduates for far too long. We need to start making strides to better prepare ourselves to reaching higher, start reacher higher, in education, health, success, and money.

...certainly there are many who do have the degrees and waited to have children, not enough though. We need to increase those successes, and this doesnt mean that those who had children young have no future, the future is still yours. This doesn't mean that those who left high school 5 or more years ago cannot change their life around and return to school and get a college degree.

If your in a gang, just know that your life will not reach its potential living that life of crime and disrespect to yourself and others. There are organizations and places you can seek out to get your life on track again, don't become another statistic or young grave. You too deserve a more positive life filled with joy and happiness, great accomplishments and lots of love. The love recieve from your fellow gang "family" may be love, however, the life that comes along with it is very negative.

We are making strides in this country, in this world. We need to continue on and make more strides. Go ahead, take one class at a college, get into that mental mode of learning and growing, you dont have to take huge steps, just make sure you are taking steps in the right direction, you are so worth it.

Make today the day you turn your life around.


For more on Latino issues check out my show Nic at Nine.

Nic at Nine, featuring radio personality DJ Nicci C , is an online radio show that airs right on myspace.com/livewithnicci every Wednesday and Friday nights at 9pm central. The show airs up and coming musical artist from all over the world, her Listen Up! segments are mostly dedicated to Latino issues that affects its communities. Get LIVE interviews and the latest info on local and national events. The sounds of Alternative music to Reggaeton. See why so many are tuning in every week to listen to DJ Nicci C.

Written by: DJ Nicci C

No comments: